Saturday, 22 July 2017
Friday, 21 July 2017
While not completely my own build, a friend bought a wall mounted nespresso pod holder and was worried about the pods scratching the wall. I simply cut a sheet of polypropylene to go behind it which is lightweight, cheap and should prevent all scratching.
Thursday, 20 July 2017
I found a picture of my goblin character, that I engraved as a test piece, in the pile of scrap wood I was burning on the camp fire. I put it up in the tent and it became a mini shrine, in a self indulgent moment I decided to elaborate on the joke and made this whole mini shrine devoted to the character. It hasn't received any gifts yet but it was a fun little build.
Wednesday, 19 July 2017
I ordered a large jailers key ring to hold my own set of runes and when it arrived I quickly realised that the hole wasn't large enough. This was a good excuse to cut my own set of runes from real wood instead of ply, this is 2mm oak. by converting the runes to a trapezium shape I was also able to achieve tessellation for a very efficient use of material.
Tuesday, 18 July 2017
Like most LRP games Vale has a rune system, each rune forms part of an alphabet and also has an inverse rune. I created a set of runes which include the description but also have the inverse description on the rear. These runes are used to help focus the rituals for the game and invoking the right combination of runes is the difference between success and fail for a ritual. I put a simple string hole in these with the intention that whoever gets them can tie the ones they're currently using to their own kit.
Monday, 17 July 2017
The strip between the wooden floor in the lounge and the tiled floor in the kitchen died, largely through old age and bad installation from the previous owners. When I tried to replace it I realised the problem of finding exactly the right profile for the gap. The closest thing I found took 3 days to arrive, cost a fortune and was totally wrong when it finally arrived.
Stacking up a zillion pieces of 6mm laser ply is never fun but I actually whizzed through it in an hour because I squared them up against an angled piece of aluminium I had lying around. The whole thing was skinned with flexible 0.8mm Birch ply. In one evening I have exactly the right piece required to span the gap, nearly 2 months later it's holding up really well (a little grubby because I forgot to varnish it). I just need to lift it again now and finish it off properly.